It’s no secret that we value gratitude. That practice is so intricately connected to mindfulness — having been called one of the “sisters of mindfulness” — that we can’t talk about one without the other.
The benefits of mindfulness are well-documented. Mindfulness shows promise for helping occasional anxious feelings and low mood, and it can help you stay focused on what matters most. When the world feels heavy and overwhelming, mindfulness grounds you and offers a much-needed connection. It’s simple — and free. What’s not to love?
Read on to learn about why we believe mindfulness matters, and why we chose to formulate our Fantastic Fungi Mindful Mushroom Drops.
What is Mindfulness?
American medical professor and renowned mindfulness researcher Jon Kabat-Zinn, who founded mindfulness-based stress reduction, has defined it as “the awareness that arises from paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment and non-judgmentally.”
You can define mindfulness in any way that works for your life. The goal is to live in the moment. You avoid drifting your focus to the past or future and simply observe what’s happening to you and around you.
Mindfulness is deeply woven into the life’s work of Louie Schwartzberg. From the Fantastic Fungi film and the new Gratitude Revealed film, to his Wonder & Awe podcast and Moving Art series (available on Netflix until September 1st and then available on The Louie Channel), Louie’s time-lapse photography and contemplative interviews encourage us to stay present and connect with nature and one another. If you’re new to mindfulness or find it hard to disconnect and slow down, start by watching Louie’s films and shorter time-lapse videos.
Mindfulness can be a formal meditation practice, or it can be a mindset or habit you cultivate throughout the day. There’s no wrong way to be more mindful, and you can experiment until you find one that works for what you need right now.
How to Be More Mindful Every Day
Want to get started with mindfulness? Try these simple tips and habits.
- Put down your phone and pay attention to what’s happening around you instead.
- When eating solo, avoid distractions like screens or books. Instead, use your senses to notice how each bite tastes, smells and makes you feel.
- Take a walk in nature, observing your surroundings instead of focusing on speed or distance.
- Watch an episode of Moving Art, allowing the beauty and wisdom of nature to be your sole focus.
- Check in with your breath. Where do you feel it flow easily — and where does it feel like it gets “stuck”?
- Swap multitasking (which decreases productivity, among other disadvantages) for a singular focus on the task at hand.
- When doing chores, find joy in the little things: The sensation of warm water in the kitchen sink, the scent of freshly washed laundry and repetitive motion of stirring a pot.
- Spend time with your pets or children, simply playing or cuddling.
- Set timers throughout the day for short mindfulness breaks. Two minutes of deep breathing, a short restorative yoga practice or even a moment to unclench your jaw and notice your surroundings can help re-ground and calm you.
- Head to your favorite foraging spot. Once you find a patch of mushrooms, sit and observe them.
- Instead of taking your afternoon coffee or tea back to your desk while you work, pause and savor every sip. (Or at least the first few!)
- While waiting in line, observe your surroundings instead of focusing on the feeling of being “stuck” or losing time. Pockets of time like these are wonderful for meditation or breathing practice.
- Practice habit stacking, adding a bit of mindfulness to an existing task in your daily routine. For example, focus on your breath while drying your hair, or stay present while brushing your teeth.
Why We Made Mindful Drops
We combined organic extracts of Lion's Mane (Hericium erinaceus), Bacopa (Bacopa monnieri) and Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) in a formula to support a healthy, thriving mind.* We wanted to help you stay centered and alert, using a trio of beloved botanicals.* Mindful is a delicious and thoughtful blend formulated with focus and clarity in mind.*
The drops format allows you to connect with your senses while fully experiencing the taste and aroma of the blend. Whether you take them during your work day or as part of a meditation and mindfulness practice, we hope you love the Mindful blend as much as we do.
8 Ways to Create a Mindfulness Practice with Mindful Drops
- When you take a dropper of Mindful, pause to notice the flavors and sensations.
- Place a dropper under your tongue before you kick off your workday.
- Before taking your Drops, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Pay attention to any changes in your heart rate, breathing and mood.
- Enjoy a serving of Mindful Mushroom Drops in warm water as you write or draw.
- Keep your Mindful Mushroom Drops within reach when you meditate or practice yoga.
- Take a dropper of Mindful when your mind and brain crave support and kindness.
- Set your daily intention as you take your Mindful drops.
- Keep your Mindful bottle in sight during your work day, as a reminder to check in with yourself.
Do you have a mindfulness practice that includes Louie’s videos or our Mindful drops? Share it on social media and tag us!
Photo Credit: Will Truettner